Alkemi-acrylic is a gorgeous surfacing material with SCS certfied 96% recycled content & VOC free. Alkemi-acrylic can be recycled endlessly after its life cycle, making it the ultimate sustainable surfacing product in the marketplace.
Alkemi Installed @ 2 Lads Winery in Traverse Cityvia Alkemi
Architect of Record: David Spala
Fabricator: : Grand Valley Wood Products
Photographers: Pat Garrett, Paul Osborne
Alkemi-acrylic is made using pre-consumer waste aluminum flake, solid surface scrap, and recycled acrylic. Alkemi can be installed by a mill worker or caseworker with using with conventional tools and fabrication methods.
Alkemi-acrylic is offered in sheet sizes of 36"x72” and 48"x96”, sheets are 5/8" thick. Available in matte (a high gloss finish can be achieved by your fabricator) and 20 different colors. My favorite colors from their offerings are Lazuli (left) & Aquarius (right):
Things to keep in mind if you plan to specify Alkemi-Acrylic:
- Limited heat tolerance, Protective trivets should be used to protect the surface from hot pots.
- A stainless steel insert or transition should be used for installation of burners and cooktops.
- Stain resistant against most common liquids. Acidic liquids, including red wine, if left to remain on the surface for extended period of time can stain.
- Stains and scuffs can be sanded and polished off to restore the surface by qualified fabricators.
- Can be used horizontally or vertically in interior applications, but will require full substrate support.